30+ Christmas Marketing Stats To Know In 2023
30+ Christmas Marketing Stats To Know In 2023
As the wonderful time of the year is just around the corner, we collected the top Christmas marketing stats and shopping facts to help you craft a successful holiday marketing strategy.
In this post, you’ll find Christmas stats on retail, eCommerce, email marketing, consumer behavior, and holiday shopping.
Moreover, if you wish to send Christmassy email marketing campaigns to your customers and all that is missing is an email automation platform, sign up for a Moosend account today to get started asap!
1. Retail & E-commerce Christmas Marketing Statistics
Firstly, we’ll kick off with some interesting stats around Christmas marketing for eCommerce and retail business owners that can shape your plans toward success. Learn the average amount of profit gained from previous years and which retail products prevailed – apart from Christmas decorations, of course:
- Last year, holiday retail sales reached $789.4 billion despite the consequences of the pandemic. – NRF
- Adobe estimates an increase of 2.5% in holiday online sales in the US alone. –Adobe
- By 2022, e-commerce retail sales will claim 16.3% of total retail sales. – eMarketer
- The retail categories that have the highest share of total holiday spending are accessories and clothing (21%), gift cards and others (19%), and food and beverages (14%). – Deloitte
- “Home improvement” shopping saw one of the most significant increases year-over-year in eCommerce sales in the US, with 79.7%. – ROI Revolution
- To combat supply chain challenges this year, 55% of businesses planned sales over an extended period, and 53% planned their marketing campaigns to start earlier and/or add more local/national suppliers. – Sitecore
2. Holiday Email Marketing Stats
Christmas email marketing is a powerful tool in the hands of marketers. It can become a game-changing practice during Christmas as long as you conduct it the right way. Let’s explore some relevant email marketing stats:
- Abandoned cart emails get 45% open rates, and 21% of them receive clicks. Of the users that clicked, half of them completed a purchase. – Moosend
- In 2019, almost two-thirds (68%) of holiday shoppers said they pay more attention to emails from companies during the Christmas holidays. – Salesforce
- Emails with personalized subject lines can increase open rates by 26%. – Campaign Monitor
- Buyers that purchase products via email tend to spend 138% more than people that get email offers. – Disruptive Advertising
- Segmented email campaigns brought a 760% increase in email revenue. – Campaign Monitor
- 42.3% of shoppers delete non-optimized emails for mobile devices. – SaleCycle
3. Consumer Behavior & Trends For Holidays
Now, let’s explore some stats to show you how consumer behavior and attitudes can affect holiday spending:
- 37% of consumers said that they will get inspired by gift ideas by browsing the websites of their favorite brands, and 23% will go window shopping. – Sitecore
- 69% of shoppers between 25 and 34 years old say online influencers are a great source of inspiration for seasonal holiday gifts. – Sitecore
- 50% of Christmas shoppers prefer retail brands that perform sustainable practices. – Deloitte
- 85% of buyers prefer free shipping, and just 15% prefer fast shipping. – Deloitte
- 57% of US buyers intended to shop online during holidays. – Statista
- The internet influences 8 out of 10 shoppers before purchasing during the holidays. They usually start from search engines such as Google or Bing. – Wordstream
4. Holiday Shopping Trends
The pandemic has affected consumers and their spending habits during the Christmas shopping season. Most people will resort to online sales and opt for more mindful and experience-based purchases for themselves and their loved ones. Let’s see some relevant stats:
- Holiday gift spending is estimated to drop by $30 billion as 58% of shoppers are expected to cut back on their expenses. – Businesswire
- 53% of consumers plan to make smaller but more considerate purchases as gifts this holiday season. – Sitecore
- 47.4% wanted jewelry for Christmas, while 32.3% of men said they’d like gift vouchers. – Fortunly
- 43% of US consumers start shopping for Christmas gifts before October. – Statista
- Here are the top items that people plan to buy for themselves during holidays: alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages (33%), food (30%), clothing (30%), shoes (23%), and books (17%). – Deloitte
- 43% of US consumers stated that some unwanted gifts they receive during holidays are accessories and clothes. – Finder
- Millennials are more than likely to complete most of their Christmas shopping online. – eMarketer
5. Social Media Holiday Statistics
If you wanted to name some of the most influential apps that affect consumer behavior, social media networks would be first on the list. Here are some stats to prove this point:
- During the holiday season, retailers received 18% more social messages compared to non-holiday months. – Sprout Social
- In 2021, about 28% of buyers plan to use social media platforms to search for or buy holiday goods. – Statista
- 23% of Christmas US shoppers actively use social media for making purchase decisions. – Fortunly
- 68% of buyers turn to YouTube on their smartphones to decide what to buy. – Wordstream
6. Black Friday & Cyber Monday Stats
Before Christmas arrives, Black Friday and Cyber Monday – including cyber week – are amongst the most popular shopping days for consumers, with deals and sales going through the roof. Here are some stats to help you prepare for those big days:
- In 2021, Cyber Monday spending reached $10.8 billion and became one of the largest sales in US history. – Adobe
- Black Friday and Amazon Prime Day are prevalent days for holiday shopping. On Black Friday, online shopping is bound to prevail. – Sitecore
- Last year, Black Friday spending reached $9.03 billion, $1.63 billion more than in 2019. – Adobe
- During Black Friday and Cyber Monday, Amazon’s top best-selling products were all technology items. – House Beautiful
Christmas Marketing Stats Gifted To You By Santa!
Dear marketer, there’s no need to surrender to Christmas blues this year. These Christmas marketing stats will help your prep your digital marketing strategy and satisfy your customers’ true wishes during the holidays.
And remember, building email marketing campaigns is one of the best ways to maintain strong relationships with your customers and subscribers on these jolly days. Get inspired by these Christmas email examples to craft yours.
And when you’re ready to send those beautiful holiday emails, sign up for a Moosend account, pick a ready-made Christmas template, and schedule the campaigns in zero time.