Essential Valentine’s Statistics To Use In 2023
Essential Valentine’s Statistics To Use In 2023
If you are thinking of creating a Valentine’s email marketing strategy for your business, don’t forget to check some of the essential Valentine’s statistics beforehand to ensure you are on the right track.
As one of the most important sales holidays of the year, learning more about consumers’ habits will help you craft more target email campaigns, ads, and material for them to boost your conversions.
Below, we collected some of the important Valentine’s statistics you can check out, including:
- Valentine’s Email Marketing Statistics
- Valentine’s Day Spending Statistics
- Valentine’s Day Demographics
- Valentine’s Day Gift Shopping Statistics
- Most Popular Valentine’s Day Gifts
Let’s check them out:
Valentine’s Email Marketing Statistics
Email marketing is one of the most effective ways to boost your Valentine’s Day sales, showing your shoppers exactly what they need to make their sweethearts and family members happy.
Now let’s see some data collected by eDataSource.
Email Campaigns Sent By Product Category
Below, you can see the average number of Valentine’s Day email campaigns sent between January 15 and February 14:
- Flowers: 38.3
- Mass merchants: 21
- Chocolate: 21.3
- Jewelry: 7.4
As you can see, flower businesses were the ones that sent the highest number of email marketing campaigns to promote one of the most popular Valentine’s Day gifts.
Email Campaign Open Rate By Category
- Flowers: 17.2%
- Mass merchants: 15.2%
- Chocolate: 11%
- Jewelry: 9%
Again, the flower category had the highest open rate, showing that Valentine’s Day email marketing campaigns featuring popular products perform well.
Email Subject Line Performance (Open Rate)
Your Valentine’s Day email subject lines are the most important factor influencing whether an email campaign receives high or low open rates.
Below, you can find some of the most-opened Valentine’s Day emails from different retailers, including Amazon, Pandora, and Godiva.
Valentine’s Day Spending Statists
Valentine’s day spending has increased, starting at $16.9B in 2007 and reaching $27.4B in 2020.
The drop in 2021 seems to have been influenced by the COVID-19 pandemic that halted Valentine’s Day plans such as restaurant dates. Nevertheless, in 2022 spending reached $23.8B as some of the Covid-19 health measures were lifted.
Now let’s see some more spending stats:
- The most popular gift choice is candy at 56%, followed by greeting cards at 40% and flowers at 37%. -National Retail Federation (NRF)
- Jewelry is an equally popular option, with shoppers spending $4.1B on it in 2021. -NRF
- For millennials (23-29), the average spending on a significant other is $266. –Bankrate
- Older millennials seem to spend less than younger individuals, with an average of $109. -Bankrate
Valentine’s Day Demographics
Demographics play an important role in spending. So let’s check out some stats to understand how consumers spend their money on Valentine’s Day.
- 67.68% of men said they would purchase Valentine’s gifts for their loved ones. –Finder
- 86% of millennials between the ages of 23-29 are the generation that will spend more on gifts. – Bankrate
- Men are more likely to spend more on gifts, with an average spending of $339. – Bankrate
- Women, on the other hand, have an estimated spending of $64. -Bankrate
- Younger millennials and Generation X are the two generations that have the highest spending patterns, planning to spend $266 and $268, respectively. -Bankrate
- Older millennials and the silent generation have the lowest numbers, with $109 and $111, respectively. -Bankrate
Valentine’s Day Gift Shopping Statistics
Holiday sales have undoubtedly been influenced by certain events (COVID-19) or other economic factors. Let’s see how the appearance of the global pandemic has changed the way consumers shop.
- E-commerce was the most popular Valentine’s Day choice chosen by 41% of shoppers. -NRF
- More specifically, 36.55% of shoppers chose Amazon for their V-day gifts. –Finder
- 46.97% chose brick-and-mortar stores and other online retailers. – Finder
- Men are more likely to buy gifts from Amazon (38.45%) and brick-and-mortar stores (39.14%). -Finder
- Women seem to prefer DIY gifts compared to men. -Finder
- 85% of all Valentine’s Day cards are purchased by women. -Greeting Card Association
- 16.48% of shoppers made their Valentine’s gift themselves (DIY). -Finders
- Department stores were visited by 32% of consumers, discount stores by 28%, local businesses by 18%, and florists by 17%. -NRF
Most Popular Valentine’s Day Gifts
Based on data from Statista, below you can find the products that consumers love to buy on Valentine’s day, with candy being the most famous option and a pet the least popular one.
Here are the most popular options:
- 44% of shoppers say they will purchase candy/sweets (with a box of chocolates being a must).
- 33% choose greeting cards, 32% flowers, and 29% a romantic dinner.
- Also, red roses account for almost 70% of all flower choices in the US. -The Society of American Florists
- 14% and 13% select wine and gift cards are also great choices for shoppers.
And here are the least popular ones:
- 8% buy clothing items and perfumes/cologne.
- 7% go for lingerie or pajamas.
- 5% choose a romantic holiday, and 4% choose cosmetics/beauty products.
- Only 1% go for a pet.
Of course, every year, some can’t make up their mind (11%).
You can use the above statistics to power up your V-day marketing and give your indecisive shoppers amazing ideas and products. With a personalized promotional email, you can help them during a busy day and boost your sales.
If you want to get started, you can hop into Moosend’s email builder and customize one of the available Valentine’s Day email templates.
Plan Your Valentine’s Day Marketing
Knowing how consumers during one of the most important holidays of the year will allow you to plan your Valentine’s Day marketing more effectively.
Using the above Valentine’s Day statistics is the best way to target them more effectively. For instance, you can use demographic data to craft specific campaigns for your customers with special products.
As email marketing is one of the most cost-efficient ways to promote your business, using it during V-day is necessary. You can create beautiful email marketing messages for them using software with advanced capabilities.
If you want an email marketing cupid to help you, you can sign up for a free account and check it out.
Now it’s time to ace Valentine’s Day and boost your seasonal revenue!