How did Bank Run weekend and greek Referendum week, effect the online Activity

Last week, during which the greek referendum was imminent and citizens of Greece were divided over the YES or NO, we dived into our data and observed some very important bits of information. We thought we should share! 

How did consumers behave through this crisis

Moosend’s customers sent out their email campaigns and their customers, responded by slightly changing their online behavior (compared to the average open rate by industry). We took some notes and it seems that as far as concerning the email activity, the change from average open rate by industry is noteworthy: Fashion newsletters and those of news media and publishing sector’s had a 2% increase, pharmacies industry noticed an 1% increase.

industries

While DIY and constructions and food industries’ open rates, remained unchanged. Computers and electronics had to face a 2% decrease in open rates.

DIY and constructions and food industries

Let’s focus on the numbers
Our customers decided to send out less email campaigns (around 9 million less emails were sent out this week, compared to the previous one), which led to around 1,6 million less email openings and consecutively to less links clicked (around 1,2 million less clicks).

metrics

Real time information

Marketers, after many discussions, blogposts and debates, and through examining huge sets of data, concluded that the best day to send your campaigns is… well, it varies. It has to do with your industry, your target and of course your audience. But this week proved to be very different from every point of view. People chose real-time information: tv news bulletins, news sites, radio talk shows, social networks and completely changed their open rates habits. As a result, Monday first & Friday secondly, were the hottest days in the Referendum week (taking under consideration the total number of emails opened).

Monday

(Research: Moosend 21/06/2015 – 27/06/2015 compared to 28/06/2015-04/07/2015)

Admittedly, it was a very emotionally charged week, but we couldn’t resist to searching more data. The ones that you can only find in social networks such as Twitter…

Social Discussions

isMOOD rushed to our aid and analyzed a huge volume of 192.642 tweets about the events concerning the greek crisis.

The hashtags that were mainly used to discuss the referendum were:
#dimopsifisma,
#OXI,
#greferendum,
#capitalcontrols,
#atm,
#yeseurope,
and #vouli.

Twitter… Where fun and serious analyses co-exist

isMOOD can distinguish and extract users’ feelings. In the next slide you will see that 69% of the tweeps under our research, discussed about the Referendum and the relevant events in a thoughtful way and the remaining 31% chose to have some fun and amuse their followers.

isMOOD distinguish and extract users’ feelings

Following, the timeline of events “describes” in a very visual way, referendum and banks’ discussions according to the sequence of the breaking events (cabinet meeting, announcement of the referendum, Juncker’s press conference, Tsipras’s interview, IMF payment deadline, Tsipras’s proclamation, Tsipras’s and Kammenos’s interviews).

Check out the interest that each of the two discussions (referendum and banks) attracted. The volatility of the referendum is only natural due to its significance and the fact that it wasn’t at all expected.

referendum and banks

And who was the winner?
Now that the Referendum’s outcome is widely known, we would like to reveal what would the outcome be if people were only voting with a tweet. Well, Twitter scored a better prediction than the Market & Opinion Research Companies did. See for yourself:

yes and no votes

Research: Ismood (26/06/2015 – 2/07/2015)

About isMOOD
isMOOD is a company operating in the field of social network analytics. Focuses on capturing trends & sentiment from social media and web data and transforming them into business metrics & insights. isMOOD utilizes social media data to extract valuable business insights for its customers, giving a new business perspective to social network analytics and has the vision to transform social media analytics into an innovative decision making tool. isMOOD gets the most out of social media data, through isMOOD Social Media Monitoring and Analytics tools.

Similar Posts